- 10 December 2017
- Pastor Al (Arnie) Hall
- All in service (with the kids)
The Pastor Al Translation:
- Gratitude = Great Attitude
It’s okay to recognize what we don’t have, but it’s more important to be thankful for what we do have. This will improve our demeanour.
- Devote yourselves to prayer
- With an alert mind
- And a thankful heart.
Things to be thankful for:
- The Bible, God’s Word, Wisdom
- Offerings, resources
- Leaders, teachers, Bible-in-schools
1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Be cheerful no matter what
- Pray all the time
- Thank God
- No matter what happens
- This is the way God wants you, who belong to Christ Jesus, to live.
How gifts work
- Accept the gift
- Use the gift
- g. prayer, love, music, life, worship, salvation
Gratitude completes the transaction
- The value of the gratitude doesn’t have to match.
- What God have given us, we cannot match.
- For to us a child is born
- To us a son is given
A gift always demands a response.
- You can choose not to accept (Jesus)
- 3 December 2017
- Suzie Holmes
- The Book of James
Most of us here (in Auckland, NZ) live in relative luxury, compared to 90% of the world. We usually fulfil our desires without thought.
Osiligi Farm – Kenya.
- Training school for young men.
- The Aims family ministering there.
- Absolute poverty
- My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.
- So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Unlocking the Bible
- James the Just, was stoned to death.
- He prayed for his persecutors.
- He didn’t deny Christ.
- His knees were greatly calloused.
- The half-brother of Jesus.
- Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.
- Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.
- Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.
- Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.
- You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.
- You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.
- 6 percent of the global population owns 85 percent of the global wealth.
- This means anyone who owns over $100,000.00 in assets.
- Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.
- These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
- Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you like down and when you get up.
- Time them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
- Write them on the doorframes on your houses and on your gates.
- Jesus replied, “’You must love the Lord your God with all your heart all your soul and all your mind.’”
- Teach me to love the Lord my God
- With all my heart
- With all my soul
- With all my mind
- And with all my strength
- 26 November 2017
- Pastor Al Hall
- Vision Sunday
Pastor Al presented the church annual report. Things are rosy. Then he presented an idea to create a new pop-up mall outside our front door on the grass verge. But only if it generated funds and ministered the gospel. His final statement, leading into his sermon was, “Our most effective outreach is You!”
- The parable of the bags of gold.
- Jesus is looking for our return on his investment.
- Not just my faith and my child’s faith.
“God, I am serious about this! I want my life and my faith to count for eternity! I would love to have the privilege of seeing someone come to faith in the next 12 months through me. I will pray for that, work towards that and trust you for that.”
Signed: James Hippolite
- 19 November 2017
- Pastor Al Hall
“The book of James is like the YouTube of scriptures.”
- It’s there to provide us clarity.
- You’ve seen that 3 minute video, now you can do it.
- “Wisdom, just ask” clip
- “Words and Deeds” clip
- “How to live well, and how to live wisely” clip (James 3:13-18)
Want to be wise?
- Live well
- Live humbly
- It’s your actions that count
A good life is about how well we serve God, and serve others.
- Your life will be full on, and full.
What wisdom isn’t
- Mean-spirited selfish ambition
- Envy & boasting
- Twisting truth to sound wise
- Earthly, unspiritual & demonic
- Looking better than others
- Getting the better of others
- … this leads to things falling apart!
- (NOT ‘ME FIRST!’)
- North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-Un, expects respect.
- Just like abusive husbands in NZ expect respect.
- Were these expectations conveyed well?
- Why have the expectations not been fulfilled?
- What needs to change?
- From God
- Begins with a holy life
- Characterised by getting on with others
- Gentle & reasonable… considerate
- Good fruit & blessings
- Impartial & sincere
||Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness
||You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honour.
||And the seed whose fruit is righteousness (spiritual maturity) is sown in peace by those who make peace (By actively encouraging good will between individuals).