- 22 April 2018
- Pastor Al (“Arnie” – The Terminator) Hall
- Special ANZAC Day Service
How did you show compassion to someone last week?
- No-one in particular.
- I shared a vision to start a new Toastmaster Club in Manukau to fight poverty, by imparting communication and leadership skills to the unemployed to get them into employment.
- Lest we forget.
- We don’t want to repeat the mistakes of the past.
- We aren’t currently in a World War, praise God.
- Or, are we?
We are in a battle
This battle is for you!
- You are of infinite value;
- You are not an anthropological accident;
- You were specifically created;
- You did not evolve.
- Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.”
- No Private has access to a 5-star General.
- But we have access to the King of Kings (through His Son).
- 15 April 2018
- Pastor Al Hall
- Believe Series: Chapter 8: Compassion
- What should we do about people in need?
- Psalm 82:3-4
- Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
- A religious expert stood up to test Jesus. “Rabbi, what does the Law of God require of us?”
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, body & mind. And love your neighbour as yourself.”
- (Wanting to justify himself) asked, “Who is my neighbour?”
- The parable of the Good Samaritan (The Good Australian?!?!? – in modern Kiwi vernacular).
- “Who was his neighbour?”
- “The one who had compassion.”
- “Go, and do likewise.”
- to notice a need; and
- to act
Arnie told the story about being interrupted in his day, to pray for strangers at the door (because this is a church and he is a pastor) …
- Is inconvenient; but
- Is so central to our mission.
- We are to set aside our prejudice and show love and compassion to others
- Our neighbour is anyone we encounter
- God calls me to be involved in the lives of people suffering
- I should stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves
- Christians shouldn’t purchase everything they can afford so that their discretionary money might be available to help those in need.
What is Compassion?
- On our journey
- Allow compassion to be felt
- Going out of our way
- Assessing needs
- Doing what we can
- Drawing others in to help
Compassion is …
- so powerful because it is linked to love!
- love in action!
- the outpouring of love onto others.
- spiritual warfare!
- the reason & emotion that motivates you to care for others in extra-ordinary ways.
- “Not all of us can do great things.
- But we can do small things with great love.”
What happens if we choose to show compassion to people?
- We will change our priorities & how we use our time.
- We are set free to give because we trust God for our needs.
- People who have been written off by society will be cared for & restored.
- We will truly impact our neighbourhood & city
- The Spirit of Christ will be alive & well in our lives.
- I believe God calls all Christians to show compassion to people in need.
- Go and do the same
- 8 April 2018
- Pastor Marty Barrett
- Believe Series: Chapter 7: Humanity
The Key Question:
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- You are a “whoever”.
Since you are a “whoever”, you have a God who:
- Loves you
- Cherishes you
- Died for you
||But whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst.
||Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever…”
||Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow…
||When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said “I am the light of the world. Whoever…”
||I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.
How does God see us?
- I believe all people are loved by God and need Jesus Christ as their Saviour.
- We need to see people the way God sees them…
- Do you believe God loves all people?
- Do you believe that God has made Salvation through Christ available to ALL people?
- Do you see all people the way God does?
- How are you changed accordingly?
- 25 March 2018
- Pastor Suz Holmes
- Believe Series: Chapter 6: Church
The Key Question:
- How will God fulfil His Plan?
- I believe God uses the church to bring about his plan.
- One body / one church, with Jesus as the head.
- This is not the time to pull away and neglect meeting together, as some have formed the habit of doing, because we need each other! In fact, we should come together even more frequently, eager to encourage and urge each other onward as we anticipate that day dawning.
Lessons from Suz’s story:
- Kids don’t learn to love Jesus by osmosis. They need intentional instruction.
- We all need the support of others.
- We need to be in relationship first, before we can call for support.
- The disciples sharing everything in common.
- A picture of perfect communion.
What does God see?
- God sees the future us
- God sees the perfect us!
- God sees his church as it is going to be… the Beautiful, Stunning Bride of Christ!
Story about having to deal with Christian DTS flatmates arguing over shampoo:
- “They’re just not there yet.”
- We are not just quite there yet, either.
- None of us are perfect. We are all selfish in some respect.
- Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.
1 Corinthians 12:12
- The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up on one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ.
We are called…
- To tell otherers about Jesus
- To disciple followers of Jesus
- To love each other
- To encourage one another
- To teach one another
- To build up one another
- To release other’s callings/purposes
- To bear each other burdens
- To be kind and compassionate to each other
- 11 March 2018
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Believe Series: Part 4: The Bible
Part 1: God
- Who is God?
- I believe the God of the Bible is the only true God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” – 2 Corinthians 13:14
Part 2: Personal God
- Does God care about me?
- I believe God is involved in and cares about my daily life.
- “I lift up my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” – Psalm 121:1-2
Part 3: Salvation
- How do I have a relationship with God?
- I believe a person comes into a right relationship with God by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
- “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9
Part 4: The Bible
- How do I know God and his will for my life?
- I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God that guides my beliefs and actions.
- “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
What this book does
- Helps us know God better
- Know others
- Know ourselves
- Know our enemy
- Convicts us
- Challenges us
- Encourages us
- Should excite us!
- Make us better
What else do I believe about the Bible?
- I believe the Bible is absolutely true in matters of faith and morals.
- I believe the words of the Bible are words from God.
- I believe the Bible has decisive authority over what I say and do.
- I believe the Bible has the right to command my belief and action.
- I believe the Bible is relevant to address the needs of contemporary culture.
- 55,443 children born in NZ in 1998
- Until they turned 17 (2015)
- Percentage reported to child protection services? 23.5%
- Our community desperately needs what the Bible offers!
- “Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.”
- Jesus claims to inclusive, exclusivity.
- All are welcomed into heaven, but only in His name.
- So, it’s our job to tell others about Him.