- 15 October 2017
- 8 Tests
- Pastor Al Hall
- 03-Sep, Disappointment
- 10-Sep, Time = Patience
- 17-Sep, Failure
- 24-Sep, Misunderstanding
- 01-Oct, ?
- 08-Oct, ? (Absent because of Promise Keepers)
- 15-Oct, Adapting
Culture is one area of life where being adaptable is important in order to relate the gospel to others.
- “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”
- He will use your occupation.
- God will take you and use you to directly impact others for eternity if you let him!
1 Corinthians 9
- “I become all things to all men, so that some may be saved.”
- Being adaptable.
Reaching out to Indian Migrants. What do Hindus believe?
- Work towards salvation
- 330 million gods. Three forms
- Karma – determines rebirth
- Remove Sin from their life.
- baptism (annual)
- animal sacrifice (repeated)
What can I do?
- Pray for right souls
- Psalm 2:8.
- Ask of me, I will give you nations as inheritance and ends of earth as possession
- Provide hospitality
- Share your testimony
Ask these important questions
- If you were to leave this world today, are you absolutely certain that you will be with God in Heaven?
- If you were to sand before God and He were to ask you why should I let you into heaven, what would you say to Him?
- Freely given
Wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life (Rom 6:23)
- Removing sin
- Jesus washed my sin away.
- I am not ashamed of the Gospel for it is the power of God for salvation for everyone. (Rom 1:16)
The pureness of your motives will determine the clearness of your vision. He pastored a church in Babylon, Long Island, New York.
The Four Looks of Faith
- An upward look for revelation
- An inward look for motivation
- A backward look for confirmation
- A forward look with expectation
New Zealand will (once again) become a forerunner of Kingdom Alliance (Ecumenicalism)
- Love – prove we are his disciples by demonstrating this.
- Fruit – prove our good works by this.
- Continuance – A Churchian is easily offended. But Christians are easily extended.
Are you willing to live with contrasts?
- I’m not a Christian just because of what Jesus does.
- I’m a Christian because of who Jesus is.
- I am not serving Christ to kill the pain.
- I am serving because I’ve had the four looks of faith and I can stand.
The full journey of faith:
- Comforted by the Gospel. Reveals Christ.
- Connection to the Body. Your “ands” will determine your “end”. (Peter and John. Paul and Barnabas.) Reveals the Church.
- Embrace the Cause of Jesus Christ. Evaluate, don’t evacuate. Reveal the Cross.
- Commitment to the Cause. Get baptised.
- Go through Crisis. The initial sign of true discipleship. Develop Character.
- Develop Conviction.
Live a life of Consistency. Await the Crown.
Common Mistakes in Dealing with Sinful Thoughts
- Suppress them
- Give in to them
Instead, you should:
- Admit them (confession)
- Submit them (leave them at the foot of the cross)
Instead of running from God, try running to God.
It may be embarrassing to confess a sin, but it’s better than keeping a secret with Satan, because when you do, then it will surface later at a less convenient time. (Be sure your sins will find you out.)
Christianity = Sinners Anonymous
- Weekly meetings to stay the programme.
- Reliance upon a Higher Power to overcome my addiction
- Instead of 12 steps, we have 10 Commandments
What does God really say? Some boundaries:
- Your body is My temple: don’t misuse it sexually.
- Don’t look at a woman sexually.
- Beware of those who say the grace of God gives you permission to do what you should not do.
Retrain your neural pathways
- Be not conformed to the world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind by the Word of God.
The goal is self-control. On the journey to self-control, there may be necessary steps to take. However, porn is never acceptable. There is no good reason for a man to look at another man’s daughter to use her sexually.
- 24 Sep. 17
- Pastor Al Hall
- 8 Tests that every follower of Christ must face
- Time = Patience
The tough test of being misunderstood is because the important thing is being missed.
- Al told story about putting up a post about a youth conference using a war image. The number of negative comments, makes you feel stink.
- I feel the same way about the lack of Christians supporting the NZ Conservative Party. They should have voted with their values, not out of fear against whichever of the two major parties that they personally disliked. But by standing up for Conservative values, I am automatically labelled homophobic, misogynistic & racist. This is not just a misunderstanding, it’s a deliberate lie of the devil.
Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God.
- Always be humble and gentle.
- Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.
- Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the spirit.
Bind yourselves together with peace. For there is one body and one spirit, just as you have been called to one glorious hope for the future. There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and father of all, who is over all, in all, and living through all.
- Handle misunderstanding “with humility and discipline – not in fits and starts, but steadily pouring yourselves…”
- It’s about giving up self, maintaining self-control and giving selfless love.
- The remedy to misunderstanding sounds a lot like forgiveness.
- We can only afford to be misunderstood when it isn’t the most important thing!
- We can only afford to be misunderstood when we value something else more!
- Mission Trumps Misunderstanding!
- Forgiveness allows us to deal with it.
- Kevin makes a nice comment to Al.
- Al reacts with misunderstanding, and makes false accusation and breaks relationship.
- Al has placed a burden upon Kevin.
- Al doesn’t ask for forgiveness.
- Kevin should take the burden to the cross and leave it there.
- Kevin extends forgiveness to Al, without requiring an apology first.
- Kevin is set free.
- Relationship is not restored yet, until Al seeks it.