- 11 June 2017
- Pastor Martin Campbell (from Belfast)
- Born & raised during The Troubles
- Moved to London, to work in an oncology unit.
- Met Joyce in Glasgow.
- Married 1993.
- Alasdair born 1996.
- Moved to Afghanistan 1997.
- Moved to NZ 2007.
- Moved to Afghanistan 2010.
- Moved to NZ 2013.
- Strangely at home in an airport.
- Missionary kids have a 3rd culture. They fit into a lot of places, but never really feel at home anywhere.
- Established 1966
Trees as models:
- Christian diversity: One trunk with a broad spectrum.
- Christian churches: Mutual support with other trees
- Holding up the fruit bearer: The supports aren’t bearing fruit, but they are necessary to enable the fruit bearing trees. Supporters enable missionaries.
- Growing in hard places: A tree can establish, even in rock. Like Afghanistan. Needs patience, perseverance; weather the winder.
Isaiah 25:4 & Hosea 14:4-8
- The parable of the mustard seed.
- Mission is the awakening of the conscience
- And the conscience informed by the Holy Spirit.
- It is not right for us Christians to be angry about our lack of covering (our government leaving our Christian Heritage) when there is a world that needs the gospel.
Jonah’s understanding of God
- …is focused on his own (or his people’s) prosperity – a conflict with God was inevitable.
- …a sense of righteousness superior to God’s righteousness – a conflict with God was inevitable.
Don’t make our children the centre of our universe
- Make God the centre.
- Our true legacy should be to model this to our children.
- Else, they will not know True North. They will think they are the centre of the universe.