- 14 August 2016
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Simple: A study through Colossians
Paul & Silas
- Characteristics of these two
- The Book of Acts
- They were imprisoned but choose to praise God.
- Was severely under trail.
- Chose to continue to bless God.
- Committed adultery and murder
- The child of this union became sick
- David cried out to the Lord for the child.
- The child died.
- David chose to worship the Lord
- His advisors were amazed.
- A characteristic of a follower of Jesus is how they handle death.
Characteristics of a follower of Jesus
- A different strength, priority.
- I am telling you this so that no one will deceive you with well-crafted arguments.
- For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.
- So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
- See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.
Characteristics we should exhibit
- Thankfulness – despite the circumstances
- Living – Christ living in me
- Strength – no matter what
- Growth – adversity never stops growth, it encourages it.
- Building – our foundation is: we decide to follow Jesus. God builds on that foundation.
- Overflow – The acceptance we receive from God should overflow to others.
- Victory – Greater than present circumstances. Get the right perspective.
- Complete – We are made complete in Jesus. Nothing else is needed.
- Raised – Sin had no power over David. There were consequences, but we are raised to life over them.
- New Life – Changes circumstances. An eternal perspective.
- Power – We have a power to live beyond our circumstances. We get to live in that power.
- Freedom – Set free from regret. Free to choose to remain faithful.
- Alive – We should have life to us.
Often we want God to take away the tough stuff.
- Instead, God diminishes the size of the tough stuff, when we focus on Him.
We get to choose to live out these characteristics.
- Change our perspective.
- See things from God’s perspective.
- Day one of Tane’s big adventure. Praise God for Facebook. Observing his trip in real-time in Dubai.
- Final appointment with orthopaedic specialist. My arm is healing completely normally.
- Must attend team meeting. Feedback from our Staff Survey. Needs work.
- I was a judge at Manukau Toastmasters (not to be confused with MCBC Toastmasters, which is my own club). It was a very interesting experience.
- Meeting with Microsoft. Inching closer to shutting down our old DEV environment.
- Tane leaves Dubai for England.
- While I was leading my small group at Men’s Ministry, Hamish and Fiona were attending Philippines Missions Trip team meeting.
- Final physio appointment at Handworks. My strength in my left arm is back up to 80%.
- Date night. Watched Jason Bourne. Episodic and formulaic. Dinner at Republic afterwards. Nice pork ribs.
- Vex Robotics scrimmage with Hamish at Lynnfield College.
- Wrote my Humorous Speech Competition entry.
- I had to replace Elliot as Chair at this week’s Toastmasters Club meeting. Numbers were down, but we kept the energy up.
- Sound check for our Oscars item.