Did another speech at Toastmasters yesterday. Essentially, the discussion boils down to:
Definition of natural selection (aka micro evolution)
- The process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.
- Often referred to as “survival of the fittest”
- Involves the death of those less suited i.e. the weak
Definition of (macro) evolution
- The process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth.
- Takes millions of years.
- Note the direction: from simple to complex.
- The theory of Natural Selection was first fully expounded by Charles Darwin, and it is now regarded as be the main process that brings about evolution (argument from authority).
- It elegantly explains the origins of life on earth, without having to rely upon the direct intervention of a Divine being, which is unobservable, and thus unscientific.
- Natural Selection is observable: we see extinctions happening all the time.
- Natural selection always results in a loss of genetic information, never an increase (theory of irreducible complexity).
- It doesn’t matter how many times your ancestors cut off their right arms, your descendants will always be born with a right arm. (Acquired characteristics are not inheritable.)
- Thousands of years of observable decrease in genetic information is not the same thing as millions of years of unobserved genetic increase. (Bait-and-switch argument.)
- Belief in evolution via natural selection is a desperate, non-scientific attempt to remain free of accountability to the divine Creator, despite logic.
- The only alternative to evolution is direct creationism. The Bible does not support any other interpretation.
- Evolution vs Creation is not Science Vs Religion but it is Faith Vs Faith