- 14 February 2016
- Senior Pastor Arnie Hall
- The Book of Romans
- Part 1: The Problem
- (Next week: The Provision)
For the early church
- This would have seemed very strange; The Romans were the occupying force.
- Proof that the Messiah had come for Jews and Gentiles.
- God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.
- They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature. They have no excuse for not knowing God.
- Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark.
- Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images being made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
- Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator – who is for ever praised Amen.
- You, therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things.
- Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you?
- Does this mean nothing to you?
- Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you form your sin?
- But because you are suborn and refuse to turn from your sin, you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself. Flor a day of anger is coming, when God’s righteous judgement will be revealed.
- He will judge everyone according to what they have done.
- He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honour and immortality that God offers,
- But he will pour out his anger and wrath on those who live for themselves, who refuse to obey the truth and instead live lives of wickedness. There will be trouble and calamity for everyone who keeps on doing what is evil.
- For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.
- Even Gentiles…
- And this is the message I proclaim – that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.
- Attended Church Family Camp at Finlay Park. A lovely, relaxing time, catching up with and meeting new church families. Apparently (I’ve just learned) there were 150 of us.
- My sixth meeting with Overeater’s Anonymous. They gave me a badge. Yay.
- I’m down to 112.7kg! This is the lightest I’ve been for over two decades.
- Tane passed his restricted driver’s license test for private car. I’m so happy.
- Missed my first OA Skype meeting on Thursday.
- Instead, went walking in the pool with Fiona, Thursday & Fiona.