- 15 November 2015
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Get growing
- There is no condemnation for those who belong to Jesus. Romans 8:1
- For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. Romans 8:14
In order to grow, we need to read the verses in between and work out what they mean.
- Because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
- Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on the flesh desires; but those who life in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
- You, however are not in the realm of the flesh, but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ form the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who live in you.
- Therefore brothers and sisters, we have an obligation – but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.
Law of Sin and Death ==> Flesh / Sinful Nature ==> Mind ==> Death
Law of the Spirit of Life ==> Spirit (via Jesus) ==> Mind ==> Life & Peace!
“Who told you that you were naked?”
- Genesis 3
- The battle in your own mind.
- Your sinful nature pulls you down.
“Who told you?”
- Work out which is your sinful nature and which is the Spirit of Christ.
- Then choose to obey the Spirit of Christ and shun the sinful nature.