- 4 October 2015
- Pastor Garey Clark
- The Old Testament & The New Testament: Interconnected
Chuck Missler says the Bible is:
- 66 books
- By over 40 different authors
- An integrated message system from outside our space-time continuum.
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day” and the darkness “night”. The evening passed and morning came, making the first day.
Garey’s hobby horse:
- God speaks things into being.
- He created us in His image.
- Therefore, we have the ability to create out of our words, too. (Not ex nihilo, out of nothing.)
- Our words have power to build up and the power to destroy.
- So be mindful of what you say, and how you say it.
- In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
- The Word become flesh and lived for a while among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father full of grace and truth.
- Christ is the visible image of the invisible God, He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation.
Col 1:16, 17
- For through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see – such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers and authorities in the unseen world. Everything was created through him and for him. He existed before anything else, and he holds all creation together.
- Confidence – we can have confidence that He holds it all together. God will sustain. Confidence is a belief that we can have faith in the One being relied upon.
- Purpose – Jesus is the visible image of God. What greater purpose could you have than to follow the creator of the universe? Get on board with His programme. You want your prayers answered? Then pray in accordance with His will.
- Jesus was with God and is God.
- He holds it all together.
What happened this week?
- Promise Keepers, Christian Men’s conference.
- A group of 6 of us from Manukau City Baptist attended.
- Great time of fellowship and teaching.
- Really enjoyed the BBQ lunch and dinner.
- There’s something literally awesome about over 700 guys all singing in unison.
- Got a promotion at work.
- Moved from Lead Developer to Development Consultant role.
- Just like a Solution Architect, only different.
- Picked up a new book at the conference.
- Demons Defeated by Bill Subritzky.
- Book review to follow (next week).
- Tane off to World of Wearable Arts festival in Wellington.
- Got shouted by the family of his girlfriend, Jess.
- He’s loving spending time these holidays catching up with old friends.
- He’s my big boy now and I’m proud of him.
- Aimée and Hamish went off to Christian Youth Camp to be Junior Leaders.
- Hamish is an old hand, but this was Aimée’s first time.
- They loved it.
- I’m very proud of my children’s desire to serve (what we Christians call “having a servant heart”).
- Fiona and I went bowling with her work colleagues.
- I didn’t break 100. Got 95 in the second game. I broke 100 last time.
- Don’t remember how badly I did in the first. Fiona bet me. So did most of the ladies. Have to keep practicing.
- Didn’t get to the gym this week.
- Instead, spent time rearranging the furniture at home, because the kids were out and we wanted to maximise what little space we have.
- We’re still renting here, even though we’ve decided to stay in Auckland. Have to do some major renovations to our Wellington property before we sell it.
- Have started listening to the Audio Bible on my commute to and from work on the motorbike.
- I managed to hear 14 chapters of Genesis in one 45 minute commute.
- A most excellent way to get an overview, while maintaining a separate, in-depth Bible reading plan.
- I plan to join the Stop Demand (www.stopdemand.org) silent protest march in front of the Boobs on Bikes parade this Wednesday lunchtime on Queens Street.