Sunday 16 August 2015
- Wisdom that Works = Proverbs
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Week 3 of 5
Last week we talked about vices
- “15 don’ts”
- These bring about death, shame and dishonour
Things that God wants us to do, will bring us life.
- Just 5 areas that Proverbs urges us to pay attention to.
|Covetousness & Envy|
|Scorner & Mocker|
|Adultery & Sexual Immorality||Integrity|
|Partiality & Favouritism|
- Being constant and persistent
- With your innermost
- Proverbs 4:23
- Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
- With your work
- Proverbs 22:11
- A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense.
- With your finance
- Proverbs 10:16
- The good man’s earnings advance the cause of righteousness. The evil man squanders his on sin.
- With you intentions
- Proverbs 14:23
- Work brings profit, but mere talk bring poverty!
- Being humble. Having a modest opinion of our own standing.
- The pay off!
- Proverbs 11:2
- Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
- The bonus!
- Proverbs 18:12
- Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honour.
- But wait, there’s more!
- Proverbs 22:4
- True humility and fear of the Lord leads to riches, honour and long life.
- So we…
- Proverbs 8:13
- All who fear the Lord will hate evil. Therefore I hate pride and arrogance, corruption and perverse speech.
- A feeling of deep sympathy or sorrow for another who is in affliction (with action)
- The Irony
- Proverbs 11:17
- Your kindness will reward you, but your cruelty will destroy you.
- Who You Honour
- Proverbs 14:31
- Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honours God.
- How it looks
- Proverbs 17:17
- A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.
- Adherent to moral and ethical principles.
- The value
- Proverbs 11:4
- Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.
- The value (part II)
- Proverbs 11:28
- A life devoted to thinkgs is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree.
- The value (part III)
- Prov 19:1
- Better to be poor and honest than to be dishoneset and a fool.
- The standard
- Proverbs 8:7
- For my mouth shall utter truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
- The reason
- Proverbs 12:19
- Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.
- How important?
- Proverbs 3:3-4
- Don’t lose your grip on Love and Loyalty. Tie them around your neck; carve their initials on your heart. Earn a reputation for living well in God’s eyes and the eyes of the people.
But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind & straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
- What a blessing that instead of trying to suppress 15 vices, we only need to focus on developing 5 virtues.
- The Bible: Beginner’s Instructions Before Leaving Earth