The Cost of Following
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Manukau City Baptist Church
- Sunday 26 October 2014
- Hula hoop individuality. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10320302_776892625701877_3884158728015028217_n.jpg?oh=7019c2e97e9bd21155de057494851ba3&oe=54F75180&__gda__=1425295964_292e31b00ed7d075864e62187b4af1aa
- You are you and I am me. You are free and have rights, as long as you don’t affect me (so says the World). You can’t alter how I feel.
- Or can you?
- Youth leaders,
- Youth pastor,
- Worship leader,
- Testimony of believers,
- Enthusiasm of believers
- Our example can influence others: to sin or not.
- Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come.
- It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.
- So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.
- Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”
- The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
- He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.
- “Suppose one of you has a servant ploughing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’?
- Won’t he rather say, ‘Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’?
- Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do?
- So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”
Cost of following Jesus
- Avoiding sin for the sake of others
- Your actions lead others
- We must forgive! Again. And again. And again.
- Forgive completely
- We need to have tiny yet complete faith
- Be a servant:
- Merely do our duty, do the work we are told to, know who is God, and who isn’t!