- Visiting speaker, Pierre
- Father’s Day
- Worship was great. Lots of boisterous and loud praise and worship songs, rounded out with a stirring rendition of “Be Thou My Vision.”
- The daughter of Jairus, died and resurrected; and
- The woman with the issue of blood, healed.
- A ruler in the synagogue; and
- A father.
- Is also a father; and
- Has a daughter with Down’s syndrome.
Continuing, the speaker asks:
- Whether there is anything magical about the garment that Jesus was wearing, that the woman touched, that she became healed?
- James answers, no.
Some points from this passage of Scripture:
- Jairus went against his leadership training in putting his trust in Jesus.
- The women went against her culture in daring to reach out to Jesus.
- Relevance è Sometimes, you will need to go against your culture, against your training and put your faith and trust in Jesus, because He is worthy and He is able.
- Jairus received the news of the death of his daughter, and gave up. But Jesus stepped in and required him to continue to trust. The end result was a greater miracle than the healing, but that of her resurrection.
- The woman received her healing, but then Jesus required her to identify herself and her ailment. The end result was a greater miracle than the healing, but that of the forgiveness of her sins.
- Relevance è Sometimes, Jesus will require you to go further, in order to receive a greater miracle.
- Faith in Christ will be challenging to your culture.
- You will be tempted to turn back.
- Stand firm, not only is He worthy, but He is able to see you though.
- Jairus go against his training? Probably, he had seen the miracles performed in the synagogue, earlier in Mark’s gospel.
- The woman go against her culture? Probably, she had heard of the miracles Jesus had been performing.
- Relevance è We need to get a vision of His Power, in order to see us through our daily trials and tribulations.
The speaker finishes with:
- Jairus means “Jehovah Enlightens”. Probably, Jairus had his eyes opened to the Power of Christ. He was enlightened by God. Will you allow yourself to be enlightened by God?
- It has always been about “Saved by Faith in Christ Alone”
- Now he draws something, while music plays.
My style is more cerebral and less artistic. I’m a teacher, rather than a preacher. What’s the difference?
- A teacher is teaching a subject with authority. He’s an expert in that subject.
- A preacher is teaching the Word of God with authority. He’s anointed by God to do it.
- We are all called to exercise as many gifts of the Holy Spirit (including teaching and preaching) as necessary, at diverse times.