Faith, Hope & Love (Part II)
- Manukau City Baptist Church
- Sunday 17 Aug. 14
- 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8
- Pastor Al (Arnie) Hall
But before we get there:
- 1 Corinthians 7:1-9
- Concerning Married Life
Summary of 1 Corinthians so far:
- Keep short accounts
- Enjoy one another.
Don’t deprive each other in marriage. E.g
A simple principle of a great marriage is
- To have a great marriage.
- Not quite sure what Arnie meant here.
Feedback from two couples about The Marriage Course which has just finished.
- Be intentional
- Make time for each other
- No subject taboo
- Complete honesty
- Felt loved by the church
Bi-focal glasses in marriage are necessary:
- Allows you to see the big picture
- Allows you to focus on the details
Why is a stable marriage important?
- So we can stand united in raising the kids.
- When trouble comes, you are stronger as a couple.
- V7: each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
- V17: Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, as God has called them.
- Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing in to the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
- Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
We can be content because
- V19: Keeping God’s commands is what counts
- V21: We are free!
- V29: Time is short.