- Sunday 1 June 2014
- The Holy Spirit (part 3 of 4)
- Pastor Garey Clark
Mark has returned from Fiji
- Doesn’t matter what your skills are, God wants to use you to build His Church.
- Right time, right place
- We will discover the Holy Spirit attempting to communicate with us through circumstances, in order to lead us on the Narrow Path;
- He is our teacher; to remind us of all that Jesus taught.
- It’s the Holy Spirit’s job to build the Church.
- It’s His job to build believers into the Body of Christ.
- For it by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
- Universal: free, gift of God, costs nothing (except your entire life). A believer in Christ. A follower of Jesus. Through the gate of grace.
- Local: an expression of the body of Christ.
You can be part of a local church without being part of the Universal Church yet.
- What’s important (for your immortal soul) is choosing to join the Universal Church;
- Which local church you choose to join is secondary;
- However, you are stronger (against the devil) in community;
- But, when local churches have disputes, outsiders assume that the Universal Church is weak;
- It isn’t.
- The Universal Church is strong, because God is building it, and will ultimately prevail against the gates of Hell.
- Meaning we win the war.
- The war in Heaven.
- Meaning I wouldn’t want to be an atheist for all the treasure in Earth.
2 examples of early church disputes:
- Mary vs Martha; and
- The disciples wanting to know who was the greatest.
Jesus doesn’t rebuke them strongly:
- Instead, He explains there are appropriate times to exercise your diverse gifts.
- He knew it was going to take all sorts, to get the job done.
- He wanted unity (not uniformity).
Implicitly, he was blessing diverse evangelical techniques.
- As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
- Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
- There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling.
- Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,
- speaking to one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Building the church on the right foundations
- Put aside anything which distracts you (or has potential to entrap you);
- Focus on His goodness.
- Be real
- Confess sin
- Repent of it
- Move on in a sense of freedom
- Not living in condemnation
- Otherwise, outsiders will rightly call “hypocrite”
A sign of maturity:
- The extent to which gentleness, humility, grace & love are demonstrated.