- Manukau Baptist
- The Holy Spirit Sermon Series
- 18 May 2014
- Pastor Arnie Hall
- (My birthday is later this week, so today I got a Moro. It’s a tradition and a treat for coming to church on my birth week. It’s not a bribe. It’s a reward.)
- Praying for our team of men who went to Fiji to build a church.
- Praying for Phil & Ruth Robinson. He’s Kiwi and she’s Filipino. They are home on furlough from their mission in the Philippines.
The Holy Spirit Sermon Series
- Three reactions:
o Oh yeah?
o Oh no!
- That’s okay.
- God can handle all 3 reactions.
- God is complex
o Father: is not Son, is not Spirit, is God
o Son: is not Father, is not Spirit, is God
o Spirit: is not Father, is not Son, is God
We kind of get God the Father
- “Father Abraham, had many sons”
- The Old Testament shows Him often and well.
- We laugh at the Israelites getting Him so wrong so often.
The gospels show God the Son
- We laugh at the disciples, getting Him so wrong so often.
The modern age shows God the Spirit
- We bumble in our understanding of Him.
- Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
- On this path, the Spirit is found!
The Spirit Isn’t:
- Doesn’t come in spurts – He’s consistent
- Doesn’t come in the spectacular – He builds over time. E.g. in order for Daniel to get his miracle, he went through years of faithful preparation.
- Isn’t spontaneous – God prepares us for amazing moments, but does it over a long period.
- Isn’t commanding and authoritative. He isn’t a dictator. Quietly, patiently, faithfully.
- Isn’t safe and gentle. (Like Aslan, he isn’t safe, but he is good.)
The Holy Spirit
- But you know him because he abides with you, and will be in in you.
- John 14:17