- Pastor Arnie Hall
- Manukau Baptist
- Easter is the biggest celebration in the Christian calendar
- There’s no bigger sacrifice in all of human history
- All of the Bible leads up to it, or derives from it
- The seat of power in that region at the time
- The big, bad city
- Jesus would have visited it several times as an observant Jew, but it wasn’t his home.
- Religiously complex:
o Romans – The invaders
o Zealots – Wanted to attack
o Essenes – Took flight and cocooned themselves
o Pharisees – Carry on with moral teachings
o Sadducees – Rome isn’t all bad. We can work with them a little bit. A corrupted priesthood, light on religion.
- When Jesus rode in, and the crowd went nuts, the Pharisees and the Sadducees combined to get rid of the trouble-maker.
- His arrival (and the crowd’s reaction) disrupted the most important week for them – Passover
- Sanctification – to remember coming out from under the Egyptians
- Justice – I delivered you from slavery
- Redemption – God will sort things out
- Restoration – I will take you to be my people and I will be your God.
Jesus was speaking “I will redeem you” during the 3rd cup.
- Another claim at divinity.
- He didn’t get to the 4th cup. That’s still to come.
When Jesus rebuked the disciples for dropping asleep, he mentioned “can you not keep watch for 1 hour?” This refers to the Hour of Watching, when the Hebrew’s were meant to be ready to escape Egypt.