The Evangelism Conference
- For people who are scared of evangelism
- Manukau Baptist Church
- David Mann
- The coming of the Gospel to Aotearoa – the untold story
- Marsden, “the flogging parson”. He only flogged hardened criminals, e.g. Australians.
- Ruatara invited Marsden.
- Christmas Day, 1814, the first sermon
- Invitation, not imposition
- Marsden’s vision
- Gospel impact
- The gospel spread
- The battle against colonisation
Jesus – all about hope
- The vision – To initiate a conversation about the reasons for the hope we have in Christ (1 Peter 3:15) with every home in our nation through media, while helping prepare followers of Jesus to engage that conversation
- Initiate – Make the most of it!
Partnership is necessary
- Because this is sincerely about a relational approach.
- 200 Years of the Gospel in Aotearoa
- Understanding our culture
- Why doesn’t the old time gospel seem to work anymore?
- How has our culture changed?
- After modernism
- Modernism = “there are answers”
- Post = “there aren’t”
- We became sceptical of truth
- 50% believe in a God
- 30% believe in a higher power
- 20% believe in nothing defined
What was Jesus’s method of ministry?
- He talked at their level (engaged them)
- Always with an ear open to the Spirit
- How to start a normal conversation
- We are the most advertised to generation in history
- Therefore people are instantly on guard against and sceptical of anybody trying to sell a message.
How to start a normal conversation?
- Remove the gospel agenda
- Ask them what they believe
- Ask them… (the devil mucked up my laptop and I missed this point)
How do you turn a conversation?
- What do you mean by?
- Where did you get that idea from?
- Have you considered?
- The necessary centrality of the Gospel in Christian witness
What is the Gospel message?
- There is a single, knowable God,
- He made us with free will.
- We used our free will to do our own thing.
- The Bible calls all of these things, Sin.
- We try to mitigate these things with Good Works.
- The problem is that God’s standard is perfection, and we’ve already missed the mark.
- One day we’re going to die.
- There’s only one of two places we’re going to go.
- Jesus paid the penalty for our sin.
- We must choose to accept his free offer.
What must I do?
- a. Admit – your need
- b. Believe – in Christ
- c. Commit – to obey
- Where are you on this spectrum?
- Where do you think you will go after death?
- Are you ready to make a decision?
- What is your hindrance to making a decision today?
10 ways to share faith (8 don’t involve words)
- Share the gospel yourself, with (Word mucked up again)
- A tract
- A booklet
- A DVD
- There is only one thing you must never do…
- So long as you do something, God can use it!
- What can you start with?