- Session 3
- Building a Biblical Family Economy
- Anthony Quarter
- Knowledge = What
- Understanding = How
- Wisdom = Why
- New International Version (NIV)
- A Living Sacrifice
- 12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
What is a Family Economy?
- It is a social system or network where people exchange goods and services within family household.
- Labour has to be involved
Why do we need a Biblical family economy?
- Because we own nothing. We are stewards of all God’s possessions.
- The family unit is under attack. (Anti-spanking, same sex marriage = corrosions of the ideal. Society is calling evil, good. They will point to us and call good, evil.) Disintegration of the family unit. Masculinity is being redefined. Femininity is being redefined.
- We live in a Peter Pan society. The little boy who never grew up. Our society worships this type of man. Unwilling to take responsibility. Passive males unwilling to lead.
- The man is the head of the woman. You have no choice about that. You’re either a good head or a bad head. You have a choice about that.
Why are boys drawn to computer games?
- They are born to conquer. To take dominion.
- But it is a false reality.
- There are real battles to fight and win.
An incorrect model of economy:
- From (Greek) Knowledge comes Wealth will result in Character.
- This is the wrong way around.
The Scripture says:
- “If you don’t work, you don’t eat.”
- Therefore the home economy shouldn’t be a welfare economy.
- The children should learn, if they don’t contribute, they shouldn’t expect food on the table.
What’s the difference between Greek, Hebrew & Biblical knowledge?
- Greek = divorce theory from reality
- Hebrew = look at history alone
- Biblical = Fear of the Lord, Wisdom
The Scripture says:
- “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
- Therefore this is character training.
In relation to raising lots of kids, (or home-schooling):
- We often hear: How do you do it? I can’t stand the two I’ve got.
- You’re asking the wrong question. You should be asking “why should I do it?”
- If your kids are terrors, whose fault is that?
- You should be discipling them properly.
I believe in LUCK:
Who am I?
- My occupation in life is discipleship.
- My job only facilitates my occupation.
Prepare your kids for marriage:
- This will give them a vision for life.
- Because if you’re not prepared when the right person comes along, they may not wait for you.