Our faith is true and can be defended
3 Big Questions:
- Does God exist?
- Is the Bible true and from God?
- Was Jesus who he claimed to be?
Three Main Beliefs
- Atheism: Everything came from nothing for no reason.
- Pantheism: Everything is God.
- Theism: God is separate from me.
- No God
- No life after death
- Bertrand Russell: There is darkness without and when I die there will be darkness within.
- God is everything.
- Everything is God.
- Karma, reincarnation, unity with the cosmos.
- God exists, created and ultimately rules
- God is independent of creation
- There is existence after death
- Conception, birth, life, death, judgement, life after death
Evidence for God’s Existence
- First cause of the universe
- Conscience and morals
- Explanation about what LIFE is
- Answers many of life’s mysteries
Evidence for Bible Truth
- History and archaeology
- The Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser III confirms Jehu of Israel.
- Sennacherib palace at Nineveh;
- Qumram Caves; The Dead Sea Scrolls; confirms our modern version is substantially unchanged from the original.
- The Great Theatre of Ephesus, Acts 19.
- Nelson Glueck – no discrepancy between Bible and history.
- Daniel and his prophecies
- That Jesus would present himself in Jerusalem as the Jewish Messiah on Palm Sunday 6 April AD32. Dave Hunt calculates it is accurate to the day.
- After the sixty two “sevens”, the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing. The people of the rule who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. This happened in AD70 under the Roman commander Titus.
- Isaiah 14:2 – the involvement of Nations
- 1948 Creation of Israel (Britain and USA)
- 1967 The Six Day War (Arab nations)
- 1973 Arabs attacked on October 6th Yom Kippur. Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Lebanon
- 1990 Uprising
- Sir Fredric G Kenyon, British classical scholar, 21 years director of the British Museum.
Evidence for the Existence of Christ
- Pliny Secondus
2 Peter 1:16
- For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
Jesus claimed authority to
- forgive sins
- raise dead people to life
- judge all mankind
- be the only way to a right relationship with God
Evidence for the return to life of Jesus
- Dramatically changed lives then and since.
- Frank Morrison, Who Moved the Stone?
- Lee Strobel, The Case For Christ.