Lai Leng Tukua – Align Church Taita
- Jeremiah 9:23 & 25
- This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast in their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.
Summarised my sermon from last week
- Justice, mercy & forgiveness
- The God Gap – the gap between what God calls us to do, and our abilities to perform it.
- Daniel’s vision of hell – he saw two pastors there. They had unforgiveness in their hearts. Pastors aren’t perfect people. We all need to extend forgiveness.
What have you boasted about?
- The fish was how big?
- Dave’s golf handicap
- Sam’s guitar playing
What is good boasting?
- Boasting about God
- His strength, His abilities, His character
What is bad boasting?
- The strength of the strong – man’s strength is temporary.
- The wisdom of the wise – is as nothing compared to His incomparable greatness.
- The riches of the rich – here today, gone tomorrow.
- The famous – fame is fleeting.
Is this bad boasting?
- a raffle;
- an auction (iPad);
- a car at a reasonable price; and
- getting healed (of a toothache) at a Christian conference.
- Then skiting about it.
- Not if you give the glory to God. If you know the background. Feeling discouraged at the time.
Had a deflating experience
- Was praising and thankful for healing (at the conference);
- Accidently got swept up with alter-call for back-sliders;
- Felt embarrassed and felt had let Tuks down (hadn’t).
The kindness of God leads us to repentance.
- No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived the goodness that God has prepared for me.
- Being angry at injustice is okay if you can do something about it; otherwise it’s in the past and you have to forgive.
Holiness, Goodness, Light
- I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. John 12:46
- God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:4-6
(James says, this reminds me of this story:)
- An atheist, points out that if God is Creator of All, then He must have created evil. Therefore He is mean and not nice and shouldn’t be worshipped and adored. A student in his class explained that, just as darkness is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of God.
- Why do bad things happen to good people?
- No one is absolutely good. If we reap evil, did we sow it first?
- If we didn’t sow it first, then we’re the innocent victim of someone else’s sin.
Get rid of whatever is going to take you to Hell
- if your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. it is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. And if your eye cause you to stumble…
- For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, …
- He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all – how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
- Romans 8:31-3