I recognized 6 people on the worship team whom I know their full name:
- Nina Villegas, bass guitar
- Sharlene Vere-Jones, acoustic guitar
- Duncan Cowan, piano
- Ben Brunskil, lead guitar
- Sarah Powell, backing vocals (same age as Tane; both born into this church; first time on stage with the worship team today.)
- Marisa Knott (nee Soukotta), lead vocals. She has a talent in this area. Can’t help but be ushered into the Presence through her godly example.
- There were others, but this indicates I’ve been out of the loop for a while.
- Rain Down
- Revelation Song
- Halleluyah – Our God Reigns (unplanned, prompted by Marisa).
- Pastor Steve Green from Whangarei Elim Church (formerly from Auckland)
- Former Youth Pastor. Married to Rebecca.
- City of a hundred beaches
- Love – the most excellent way (1 Cor 13)
What is God’s Love Really Like?
- Testimony of hiding with a friend. When found, his father went from despair to anger in an instant. Steve felt he’d lost his father’s love. Tried to earn it back by being good.
- At six, loved a girl at school; but the next day, she changed her mind.
- The different experiences we have shape our understanding of God’s love. Steve therefore thought God’s love is:
- But the good news is that God’s love isn’t either of these two things!
Parable of Prodigal Son:
- You’re not loved because of what you do;
- you are loved because of who you are.
- Example: Nobody loves a new-born baby because of what it does (poos & cries). You love him/her because of who s/he is. S/he is your child.
You can’t go anywhere that separates you from God’s love
- It’s unconditional.
- The cross: a picture of God’s perfect love.
- John 15:13 – There is no greater love than this; to lay one’s life down for someone else.
- Romans 5:8-21 – God demonstrates His love for us in this; while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.