Thought for the Day
My middle son (Hamish Kirk – named after me and my favourite starship captain) turned 10 on Monday, hence this is late.
Praise & Worship
- You are the Sovereign I AM; Your name is holy
- You are the God who lives
- I believe you’re my healer (ministry time)
- Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty
- On Sunday 1st March we go to 2 services: 9am & 10:45 with Special Guest: Mike Murphy
- “Shrove” Tuesday (what does that actually mean?) – Prayer meeting – 24 February @ 5:30pm here
- Friday 20 February Raze (youth programme at the church) begins 7pm
- Sunday 22 February Connect Lounge (new to Elim) 12pm
- Sunday 22 February Mission Possible Lunch
- Easter Festival – The largest celebration of the year is coming and we’re gonna do it up big with everything from music and special items to food and decorations to celebrate who we are as a church. There will be many ways for everyone to contribute their own flavour and culture, but there is one particular opportunity that requires your attention now if you’re interested: the Festival Choir. We want a group of 50+ signers on that stage and YOU are invited. A massive joyful noise is what we’re after, and if you can do that, don’t hesitate to join up! Contact Jess: email@example.com 385-9634. Find her or she’ll find you!
- Prayer @ Parliament. Raise the bar and do corporate prayer in the place where decisions are made! Friday 20 March, Registration required. Enquiries: Elim office 385 9634.
- http://www.captain-meg.blogspot.com She’s serving on the ferry at the moment.
- 2009 investments – Invest in the next generation by joining PowerZone Kids Ministry. Very rewarding and loads of fun! We are looking for new leaders for 2009. If you are interested please contact Mitch: firstname.lastname@example.org or 385 9634.
- Dave and Irena Desmond are moving to Beijing working for NZ Trade and Enterprise
- Brad & Mel Dring (married) Matt Scarlet & Melissa (engaged). Brad and Mat are going with Parachute to South Africa. Prayed for their travel and impact/reach for Jesus.
- Diane was admitted to the bar. Prayed for a job and to be a blessing in that industry (Law).
- All Life Group leaders (including yours truly) went forward for prayer for blessing of prosperity and growth, both in the knowledge of the Lord and numerically.
- Scrubs Series “Ambassadors”
- Mike Knott
Interview with Jamie-Lee (Mike’s granddaughter)
- Jamie-Lee gave an account of ministering to one of her little friends from school (she’s about 10)
- We clapped; Mike rewarded her with a Crunchie (James wonders: Does this remove one gem from her spiritual crown, because we’ve acknowledged her good works?)
2 Chronicles 5:
- We are Christ’s ambassadors
- Ambassadors are ministers of the highest rank, with full authority to represent their state
- We are citizens of Christ’s Kingdom (Phil 1:27)
- We are His ambassador representing His Kingdom
- Our Embassy is the Secret Place (Psalm 91)
- We have control over specific territory (Joshua 1:3)
- We have top security (2 Kings 6:17)
- We have the authority to speak on behalf of our King (Mark 16:17-18)
- We have “JC” plates! (Ephesians 1:13)
- Revealing by being appealing – 1 Peter 2:12 “Live an exemplary life mount the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.”
- Entering their world – 1 Corinthians 9:22 “I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ – but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meeting into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in or it!”
- Good News – Romans 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the Good News, because it is the power God uses to save everyone who believes – to save the Jews first, and then to save non-Jews.”
- Present News – 1 Peter 3:15-16 “But respect Christ as the holy Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to answer everyone who asks you to explain about the hope you have, but answer in a gentle way and with respect”
- Urgent News – Jude 22-23 “Have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.” (Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin)
The Fires in Victoria
- “If you can see the flames, it’s too late to run.” Likewise, we should be saving people from eternal flame in their youth
- The firemen: we’re like them
- The desolation afterwards: It’s a wasted life without Christ
- The picture of the destroyed church (with a cross left standing): there is always a beacon of hope
We are not alone!!!
- Matthew 28:18-20
- Then Jesus came to them and said, “All power in heaven and on earth is given to me. So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach them to obey everything that I have taught you, and I will be with your always, even until the end of this age.”
God is on their Case!
- 2 Samuel 14:14
- All of us must die eventually. Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again.
- But God does not just sweep life away; instead, he devises ways to bring us back when we have been separated from him.
- Visiting (from Christchurch)
- Wedding Anniversary (Kevin & Jess)
- Happy Birthday Moses!
- Wellington (Victoria) Tertiary Students Christian Fellowship are active
- Riding without training wheels!
- Cheyenne’s first birthday
- (Somebody) handed in her thesis
- Rosemary Thomas: 2 weeks ago fell off a ladder. Back pain all week. Selwyn prayed for Rose last week. The pain has completely gone.
Live Services… Jumpstart – “This article will explain for developers who are interested in building applications on the Azure Platform with the help with Visual Studio 2008 how to get started.” I’m a published author (again)!
- Um, it’s been a nice summer?
Competition pressures hit Evolutionary Biology – The Year of Darwin has got off to a bad start. In an ironic twist, professors arguing that nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of natural selection, are experiencing a different type of selection pressure themselves. How important is evolutionary biology really?
Darwin B-Day Poll: Minority of Americans Believe in Evolution – A new poll released just in time for Charles Darwin’s 200th birthday found that only 39 percent of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution," and just 24 percent of those who attend church weekly believe in that explanation for the development of life on Earth. The Gallup survey, released Wednesday, found a quarter of those polled do not believe in evolution, and 36 percent said they don’t have an opinion either way.
Chance & Necessity Whackaloons Dropping Like Flies – Zogby poll conducted at the end of January finds 78% of likely US voters favour teaching both strengths and weaknesses of Darwin’s theory of evolution. The same poll conducted in 2006 found 69% favoured teaching both sides of the controversy. We’re winning in the public square. Big time.
On ‘Darwin Day,’ many Americans beg to differ – The latest tactic by evolution opponents – ‘academic freedom’ laws – recently scored its first major victory.
- My brother is in town. I would like to barriers of atheism to be torn down.
- Shrove Tuesday, 24 February, Celebrate Life with Pancakes!
UK bans Dutch anti-Muslim MP – How disgraceful to have the UK ban a Dutch MP, because he is seen as anti-Muslim, Would they ban someone who is anti-Christian? Many western countries slowly but surely are imposing self censorship. We saw this with the Dutch cartoons. There is no right not to be offended by criticism of your religion.
Hatred Of Jews Okay in Germany – If It’s From Muslims – Recent events demonstrate the relationship of German political culture today to anti-Semitism. On the one hand, one is not allowed to deny the Holocaust. If Arabs, other Muslims and their German friends scream ‘Death to the Jews,’ or ‘Israel – children killer’, that’s fine. If two lonely guys stick an Israeli flag in a bedroom window on a street where such anti-Semites pass, the police react immediately and confiscate the flag.
Why consider sitting for an MCTS or MCP Certification – “I have to admit up front that for many years I didn’t think much of sitting for IT certifications, thinking that such rot was only for people who had just left school, before they found a job to add to their resume. The simple truth is that I had not sat for any certifications myself, and didn’t know what I was talking about.” This is a very good article, written by a friend of mine, which speaks about my point of view entirely.
New Rangoon Bridge to Open on 28 February – The new two-lane Rangoon Street Bridge in Khandallah is to be officially opened at 12 noon on Saturday 28 February.
Zoom in on Obama Inauguration – This is amazing. It’s a very high resolution (Terabytes) photo of the crowd at Obama’s Inauguration, where you can zoom in to see individual faces and people. The VIP section is especially interesting.
If Kylie can do it, you can too – Watch PC rookie Kylie fix a photo of Dorothy, her pet fish, and send it to her family. Get Windows Live Photo Gallery for free, and try it yourself. (2 min. video)
The Old Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? – By Dr. Peter Gentry, Professor of Old Testament Interpretation, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Grab the MP3 lecture here.
Why I Am A Creationist
Each week I intend giving a new reason why I am a creationist. This week, it’s the turn of a scientist familiar with the arguments of chemical evolution to explain what’s wrong with that theory.
Chemistry by Chance
A Formula for Non-Life
Charles McCombs, Ph.D.
- The Problem of Unreactivity
- The Problem of Ionization
- The Problem of Mass Action
- The Problem of Reactivity
- The Problem of Selectivity
- The Problem of Solubility
- The Problem of Sugar
- The Problem of Chirality
Conclusion: The building blocks of life cannot be manufactured by accident.
From Acts&Facts, February 2009, p30-31
Dr McCombs is Associate Professor of the ICR Graduate School, and Assistant Director of the National Creation Science Foundation.
Grandmas Don’t Know Everything
Little Tony was 9 years old and was staying with his grandmother for a few days.
He’d been playing outside with the other kids for a while when he came into the house and asked her, ‘Grandma, what’s that called when two people sleep in the same room and one is on top of the other?’
She was a little taken aback, but she decided to tell him the truth. ‘It’s called sexual intercourse, darling.’
Little Tony said, ‘Oh, OK,’ and went back outside to play with the other kids.
A few minutes later he came back in and said angrily, ‘Grandma, it isn’t called sexual intercourse. It’s called Bunk Beds. And Jimmy’s mum wants to talk to you.’
The book of the Census
Facts and figures about the 40 years of wilderness travels.
- The Census
- The Arrangement of the Tribal Camps
- The Levites
- The Kohathites; The Gershonites; The Merarites; The Numbering of the Levi Clans
- The Purity of the Camp; Restitution for Wrongs; The Test for an Unfaithful Wife
- The Nazirite; The Priestly Blessing
- Offerings at the Dedication of the Tabernacle
- Setting Up the Lamps; The Setting Apart of the Levites
- The Passover; The Cloud Above the Tabernacle
- The Silver Trumpets; The Israelites Leave Sinai
- Fire From the LORD; Quail From the LORD
- Miriam and Aaron Oppose Moses
- Exploring Canaan; Report on the Exploration
- The People Rebel
- Supplementary Offerings; Offerings for Unintentional Sins; The Sabbath-Breaker Put to Death; Tassels on Garments
- Korah, Dathan and Abiram
- The Budding of Aaron’s Staff
- Duties of Priests and Levites; Offerings for Priests and Levites
- The Water of Cleansing
- Water From the Rock; Edom Denies Israel Passage; The Death of Aaron
- Arad Destroyed; The Bronze Snake; The Journey to Moab; Defeat of Sihon and Og
- Balak Summons Balaam; Balaam’s Donkey
- Balaam’s First Oracle; Balaam’s Second Oracle; Balaam’s Third Oracle
- Balaam’s Fourth Oracle; Balaam’s Final Oracles
- Moab Seduces Israel
- The Second Census
- Zelophehad’s Daughters; Joshua to Succeed Moses
- Daily Offerings; Sabbath Offerings; Monthly Offerings; The Passover; Feast of Weeks
- Feast of Trumpets; Day of Atonement; Feast of Tabernacles
- Vengeance on the Midianites; Dividing of the Spoils
- The Transjordan Tribes
- Stages in Israel’s Journey
- Boundaries of Canaan
- Towns for the Levites; Cities of Refuge
- Inheritance of Zelophehad’s Daughters
What more could you ask for from a good story?
- A rip-roaring yarn;
- Admonitions and forgiveness;
- Historical accuracy
- Tragedy of Israelite rebellion
- The faithfulness of God
- (The detailed bits are for historians and genealogists.)
My only question is: why did God choose to heal the plague with the image of a serpent? Surely He knew that would lead to confusion later with Satanic worship. Or was this one more example of God turning the tables on the false gods of the day (like He did in Egypt)?
Balaam’s Donkey (and the talking serpent of Genesis 3) used to freak me out as an Evangelical (takes the Bible seriously). Now I know it was Holy Spirit possession (for the donkey) and demonic possession (for the serpent). Perfectly natural, everyday miraculous; “nothing to see here people, go on about your business.”
A common criticism of the Bible is God’s sanctioning of the bloodshed of “innocents”. The common evangelical line has always been that those people who were in Canaan at the time, had ample opportunity to repent of their wicked ways and get out; it was their stubbornness that lead to their demise (similar to the wickedness of the days of Noah).
The boundaries of Canaan are interesting to contemplate in connection with the present struggle there. Not just Gaza, it was Jordan too!
Week to 16 Feb 2009
- Numbers 14:1 – 16:35
- Numbers 16:36 – 19:22
- Numbers 20:1 – 22:21
- Numbers 22:22 – 25:18
- Numbers 26:1 – 29:11
- Numbers 29:12 – 32:42
- Numbers 33:1 – 36:13
Week to 23 Feb 2009
- Deuteronomy 1:1 – 2:37
- Deuteronomy 3:1 – 5:22
- Deuteronomy 5:23 – 8:20
- Deuteronomy 9:1 – 11:32
- Deuteronomy 12:1 – 15:23
- Deuteronomy 16:1 – 19:21
- Deuteronomy 20:1 – 23:25
Week to 2 Mar 2009
- Deuteronomy 24:1 – 27:26
- Deuteronomy 28:1 – 29:29
- Deuteronomy 30:1 – 32:47
- Deuteronomy 32:48 – 34:12
- Joshua 1:1 – 6:27
- Joshua 7:1 – 10:15
- Joshua 10:16 – 13:33
- METTLE is an acronym for Men’s Evangelical Team Together for Learning Experiences. We are primarily Christian businessmen from Wellington, who meet occasionally in the CBD to encourage each other in our daily walk with Jesus. This Fortnightly Collaborative Blog is our primary means of communication. If you know of anyone who may benefit from this FCB, you are welcome to forward them along. Similarly, if your circumstances are such that membership in this distribution list is no longer relevant, then hit reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE to have it removed.
- If you choose to respond to any item raised in this FCB, please indicate clearly which items you wish to remain Private, as any correspondence may be considered Public and could be published.
- If this fortnight’s newsletter has been of benefit to you, why not drop a line and say so. Or better yet, visit the TVORNZ website to read past issues and add a comment!
- Published by The Voice of Reason, New Zealand, copyright (C) 2009