I did attend the second “Science and Faith” seminar at Karori Baptist Church on Sunday 27 July 2008. It was good to have a friend along this time, thanks Eric. This time, it was the turn of a Christian Evolutionary Biologist to present from his perspective. Needless to say, I found his choice of self-title somewhat of an oxymoron. Here is my report of his presentation: http://tvornz.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A93B6100E328706D!616.entry
I found it fascinating that (in my estimation) he spent about 75% of his allotted 1 hour justifying a non-literal interpretation of Genesis 1. Just the remaining 15 minutes was a perfunctory rendering of his reasons for believing in evolution. All 5 of his reasons I deal with in my report above.
Nobody wanted to challenge/debate me afterwards this time, so I went and picked on the lecturer instead. I told him “I cannot subscribe to your beliefs, because the conclusions are so abhorrent.”
“Which conclusions are those?” says he.
“Kill the weak,” says I.
“I never said that,” says he. “What are you talking about?”
“’Survival of the fittest’ is code for ‘kill the weak’” says I.
“No it isn’t,” says he.
“It isn’t, in your interpretation of evolution, because you are informed by your Christian beliefs. However, that is what pure, atheist evolution is all about,” says I.
“…” says he.
- I’m alive and kicking!
- Anti Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) – Tough on Children – Tough on the Causes of Children. During her recent visit to New Zealand, Baroness Vivien Stern spoke of how society creates criminals. In an address to the 25th Anniversary Prison Fellowship Conference, she included reference to the impact of ASBOs on the UK community.
- Evening Recital by Mok-hyun Gibson-Lane (Cello) and Donald Nicholson (Piano). Programme includes works by: Schumann, Boccherini, Haydn and Paganini- Rossini. Thursday 7th August 7.30 pm, Central Baptist Church, 46 Boulcott Street, Wellington. Entry by Donation. Supper Provided. Free Car Park Available Opposite Church (Boulcott Street Car Park Building). Enquiries Tel. David & Soogi Lane. Tel. 04-970-1067
- Is God Dead? – Date: Monday 4th August. Time: 6pm – 7.30pm. Venue: Lecture Theatre Two, Rutherford House, Pipitea Campus, Victoria University. Gold coin donation. There will be refreshments after the debate
· METTLE is an acronym for Men’s Elim Team Together for Learning Experiences. We are primarily (but not exclusively) businessmen from Wellington Elim Church, who meet occasionally in the CBD to encourage each other in our daily walk with Jesus. This newsletter is our primary means of communication. If you know of anyone who may benefit from these newsletters, you are welcome to forward them along. Similarly, if your circumstances are such that membership in this distribution list is no longer relevant, then hit reply and type UNSUBSCRIBE to have it removed.
· METTLE has no affiliation with Telecom New Zealand Limited
· If this week’s newsletter has been of benefit to you, why not drop a line and say so. Or better yet, visit the TVORNZ website and add a comment!