Crunchies (church traditional celebration):
- Mark & Ate’s son (Amanaki) became Christian this week;
- Felicity Baker passed Uni exams; was at TSCF camp; lost her voice; got it back; sang TSCF to the tune of YMCA.
- Some people arrived from overseas;
- Someone is leaving to overseas;
- Judith Baxter coping alone (Malcolm in hot country at moment); conquered texting; didn’t conquer Sky (missed the rugby);
- Lesley’s birthday (55);
- Fiona’s birthday (45);
- Manu Meszaros (11);
- MV Dulos is in town; go!
- Visitors from Gisborne;
- 1 year wedding anniversary;
Things You Need to Know:
- Looking at our Vision this month;
- The Power of Prayer Together: Elijah’s example; Breakthrough Prayer 6pm Tuesdays.
- Situation Vacant: Sound Technicians (not just anybody need apply);
- Elim Church (Marton) will be visiting us next Sunday;
- Digging Deep continues tonight
Offering (3 scriptures):
- “Arise, walk in the land through its length and its width, for I will give it to you.”
- “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and he shall give you the desire of your heart.”
- “Let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7.
A Heart for the City:
- Jeremiah 29:7
- “Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
- The first year of ministry for us in Wellington, back in 1987, we made it our purpose to persuade every member to love the city of Wellington. The Capital did not have a good image, and we were about to begin to change all that. It was very interesting to then see the commercial sector come up with the slogan “ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WELLINGTON.” I am sure it was as a result of the word we had been declaring all year.
- Wherever we have located ourselves it has been amazing to see run-down areas beginning to prosper. Courtenay Place was practically derelict and we were surrounded by empty and vandalised warehouses. Just look at us now, surrounded by apartments and thriving businesses, with Courtenay Place now the heart of the city.
- Now we need to bring true prosperity to the people the Lord has surrounded us with – the prosperity of soul that only Jesus can give. Let’s become a pumping heart bringing life and vibrancy to all around us, then let’s take it out into our neighbourhoods, our workplaces, etc.
So What’s Going On?
- Psalm 51:12-13
- Give me back the joy of your salvation. Keep me strong by giving me a willing spirit.
- Then I will teach your ways to those who do wrong, and sinners will turn back to you.
- This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed at Cana in Galilee.
- He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.
The Inner Work of the Holy Spirit
- Philippians 2:13
- Because God is working in you to help you want to do and be able to do what pleases him.
- What we do – BEHAVIOUR (New Actions)
- How we do it – ETHICS (Renewed Mind)
- Why we do it – MOTIVES (Captivated Heart)
The Heart – Personal and Church
- Proverbs 4:23
- Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance, and above all that you guard, for out of it flows the springs of life.
An Inherited Verse
- Isaiah 58:11b-12
- And you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail.
- Your ancient runs shall be rebuilt;
- You shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
- You shall be called the repairer of the breach,
- The restorer of streets to live in.
A Life Scripture
- Isaiah 62:10
- Pass through, pass through the gates!
- Prepare the way for the people.
- Build up, build up the highway…
The Heartbeat of Jesus?
- Mark 12:30-31
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.
- The second command is this: “Love your neighbour as you love yourself.” There are no commands more important than these.”
Who is My Neighbour?
- Parable of the good Samaritan
Global Vision – Local Expression
- From the Nations in the Capital
- To the Nations of the World:
A Heart Response
- 1 Samuel 16:7b
- God does not see the same way people see. People look at the outside of a person, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
- Proverbs 23:25
- My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways,
- Proverbs 16:1-2
- We humans make plans, but the Lord has the final word.
- We may think we know what is right, but the Lord is the judge of our motives.
- The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.