Pastor Rob Reid
- “Going back to the source”
- Opening joke
- 4 worms in alcohol, smoke, chocolate and soil
- 3 dead, 1 alive
- Punch-line: as long as you drink, smoke and eat chocolate, you won’t have worms!
Where are we going?
- Hebrews 12:20: you have come to a city in which the living God presides…
- It is the city where God is judge.
- God calls the Earth: good
- God calls Heaven: glorious
- passing away
- good but not glorious
The Lord’s Prayer
- Our Father in Heaven: It’s where He constantly dwells therefore it’s worth being there
- Matthew 6:9+10 “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”
- Author and academic in the 1840’s
- Wrote book “The Pursuit of God”
- We must shift our focus from the seen to the unseen. We must avoid the common mistake of pushing that “other world” into the future. It is not…
- A man can receive only what is given to him from Heaven.
- Illustration/application: new baby Oscar. Before the parents met, Oscar was in the mind of God.
John the Baptist:
- A mystic in the wilderness; Straight up kind of guy; Told it like it really was
- Like today, his result was, he lost his head
- But, he didn’t pay the ultimate price
- He’s in Heaven!
- I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe: how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
- Jesus speaking to Nicodemus
- If you read history you will find that Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next.
- It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.
- What if your work sent you away for 3 months?
- You had absolute communication with family (no homesickness)
- You have 2 weeks left on your task (mission)
- How do you feel?
- What if you had 2 weeks left to live?
- E.g. Cancer
- You would not feel the same in both situations
- The difference is what’s at the other side of the waiting period
- Heaven is a place where we can literally store treasure.
- The example of the Sadducees attempting to trap Jesus and he laughed at their lack of understanding. Our humaness will cease in heaven.
My Father lives in Heaven. (Lessons from John the Baptist’s life)
- …never without
- The future is a place everyone gets to at precisely 60 minutes per hour
- The Spirit of God was around him.
- Designed in Heaven
- Placed on Earth
- Destined for Eternity
- Jesus said “You did not choose me but I chose you.” Yes, You! Yes, YOU!
Rob’s life application story:
- Rob’s mum responded to an ad.
- They hosted first 1, then 2, then 4 kids from an “at risk” Auckland home over 3 years over school holidays
- In the fourth year, they brought the mother. This is now his “aunty Grace”
- She didn’t accept the lie that she was a rejected woman in a tough part of Auckland in the 1960’s.
- She believed that God had a good plan for her.
- Now she’s living in a house built for her by her kids, surround by them.
- We can bring a piece of heaven to earth, if we want to.
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God. Trust in me too, Jesus said. I go to prepare a place for you in heaven…