- Lead by Cheryl Soukotta
- Hymn: There is a Redeemer
- Served by over 50’s group
- Prayed for by Stan Hewett (honorary Elder)
Message from Sergio Scataglini (via Internet)
- Originally from Buenos Aires
- Evangelist in Argentina
- Author of “Fire of His Holiness”
- (Thursday 20 March PM)
- 12th best city to live in the world
- More cafes per head than New York!
- Global Day of Prayer on May 11th. This is exciting. Don’t give it up. www.globaldayofprayer.com
The Word of God:
- 1st Peter chapter 4: “Therefore, since Christ suffered in His body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude.”
- Sergio: I come here today to encourage you. You may think that at some points I come to depress you. Hang in there.
- This entire chapter is about sanctification.
- In a chapter about suffering, it talks about being “overjoyed”
(1) Arm yourself with the concept of suffering. Make yourself prepared with the appropriate mental readiness.
- The gospel comes with an element of suffering. Be prepared. Romans 12:12
- Develop an attitude of willingness to endure suffering.
- Don’t go around looking for suffering, but expect it at some point.
(2) Just as diets can purify the body, so also suffering can purify the soul.
- It helps you to identify with the suffering of others. It increases your compassion.
- If we teach you how to suffer, you will have a more victorious life. You will never fall away from the gospel.
- Hebrews 5:8, Jesus learned obedience through suffering. We are not greater than Jesus. We also will learn in the same way.
(3) Do not lose your honour with suffering.
- John Wesley was attacked(?) but rejoiced that the manuscript of his next book was not destroyed. A great attitude of gratitude.
- William Booth, when all else failed, recommended “try tears”. 1st Peter 4:12.
- Keep strong, keep your honour in the midst of suffering.
(4) Accept suffering when it is according to God’s will:
- Temporal suffering can save from eternal suffering (if it results in changed behaviours)
- Let God run your life. Let Him in charge. He knows what He’s doing.
- There is a kind of suffering that is good; it will purify you and
(5) Do not let suffering freeze your ministry
- You will be tempted to give up.
- v19, continue to do good
- Develop faithfulness to the point, “I would rather die than quit.” Then God can truly use you.
(6) Learn to combine suffering with Joy:
- A strange combination. E.g. Mate is Argentine national drink. A strong green tea. Very bitter, unless you combine it with sugar.
- V12: do not be surprise at the pain you are suffering
- V13: but be joyful
(7) Remember you are not alone:
- If you are suffering, remember that others have been through it. Call upon their experiences to give you strength.
- People that have suffered, have a deep peace that we all need.
- The consolation of the scriptures. Don’t give up, don’t give in, don’t get bitter. Trust God.
- This Easter season should remind us to receive renewal
- God not only permits suffering, but He knows how to rescue you also.
- 2nd in size
- The nation’s capital
- Is capable of being hugely influential
- Do not be intimated by the secularisation of the nation
- The church will change the society