Dr. David Ireland
- Pastor of a church of 6000 in New Jersey
- Married 23 years
- 2 daughters at university
The Place of Victory:
- As pastor of large church, he is constantly familiar with the wide gamut of human emotions every week.
- We often overlook (because we focus on faith) of the place of hope.
- Roma 15:13 (ASV) Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- I’m here by God’s appointment.
- Western Christians do not have a theology of pain. Example given of a woman (in David’s church) who had her 4th miscarriage, and he just had to be there. Example of David standing at a gang leader’s funeral in his clerical attire assisted to maintain a calm presence.
- Gene 37:23 (ASV) And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his brethren, that they stripped Joseph of his coat, the coat of many colours that was on him; 24 and they took him, and cast him into the pit: and the pit was empty, there was no water in it. 25 And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a caravan of Ishmaelites was coming from Gilead, with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it down to Egypt. 26 And Judah said unto his brethren, “What profit is it if we slay our brother and conceal his blood? 27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmaelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother, our flesh.” And his brethren hearkened unto him. 28 And there passed by Midianites, merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver. And they brought Joseph into Egypt.
- God can use me, even in this situation.
- Gene 39:1 (ASV) And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh’s, the captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hand of the Ishmaelites, that had brought him down thither. 2 And Jehovah was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. 3 And his master saw that Jehovah was with him, and that Jehovah made all that he did to prosper in his hand. 4 And Joseph found favour in his sight, and he ministered unto him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand.
- Joseph, stripped naked and sold a second time; this time it appears more permanent. However he prospered, because he maintained his heart devotion.
- God uses these circumstances to train me for a better future. “Gumbo training” = throw everything into the pot. Nothing goes to waste. Every experience, God will use.
- Gene 39:7 (ASV) And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. 8 But he refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master knoweth not what is with me in the house, and he hath put all that he hath into my hand: 9 he is not greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back anything from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? 10 And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, [or] to be with her. 11 And it came to pass about this time, that he went into the house to do his work; and there was none of the men of the house there within. 12 And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out. 13 And it came to pass, when she saw that he had left his garment in her hand, and was fled forth, 14 that she called unto the men of her house, and spake unto them, saying, See, he hath brought in a Hebrew unto us to mock us: he came in unto me to lie with me, and I cried with a loud voice: 15 and it came to pass, when he heard that I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment by me, and fled, and got him out. 16 And she laid up his garment by her, until his master came home. 17 And she spake unto him according to these words, saying, The Hebrew servant, whom thou hast brought unto us, came in unto me to mock me: 18 and it came to pass, as I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment by me, and fled out. 19 And it came to pass, when his master heard the words of his wife, which she spake unto him, saying, After this manner did thy servant to me; that his wrath was kindled. 20 And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison. 21 But Jehovah was with Joseph, and showed kindness unto him, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. 22 And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph’s hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it. 23 The keeper of the prison looked not to anything that was under his hand, because Jehovah was with him; and that which he did, Jehovah made it prosper.
- Joseph resisted Potiphar’s wife’s advances. Joseph was in prison on false charges for about 10 years. But he still maintained a positive attitude as evidenced by his continued successes. Why? Because God was still with him. God was keeping him alive (Potiphar could have killed him).
- Christians get offended and leave churches. Get over it. Any human endeavour is imperfect. You will get offended. That is not just cause to leave the church. Jesus is real.
- Joseph was able to say “what you meant for harm, God was able to make it into something beautiful.”
- Genesis 45:5