Thought for the Day
- “And… they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is.” – Acts 4:24
- Local hero a double life saver – For Wellington’s newest hero, Adam McLean, the only thing better than saving a life is saving a second one – an hour later.
- See You at the Pole – At schools across the USA, students marked the annual See You at the Pole gathering Sept. 26 by praying for their schools, friends, teachers, government and nation. The student-led event started with a group of youth in Burleson, Texas, in 1990 and has taken root nationwide.
- Maryland Court Upholds Ban On Same-Sex Marriages – Maryland’s highest court today upheld a state law defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman, ending a lawsuit filed by same-sex couples who claimed they were being denied equal protection under the law.
- Our fellow member of the congregation, Mike W. is off work, with his 4 children while his wife Anna is suffering in hospital. Pray for swift recovery.
- My former neighbour, and good Christian man, Paul D. (about 44 years old) suffered a heart attack this week. Pray for Nicola his wife and 3 children.
- Council of Europe to Vote on Creationism – Europe’s main human rights body will vote next week on a resolution opposing the teaching of creationist and intelligent design views in school science classes. The Council of Europe’s Parliamentary Assembly will debate a resolution saying attacks on the theory of evolution were rooted "in forms of religious extremism" and amounted to a dangerous assault on science and human rights.
- Your local body election responses are due in by 12 noon, 13 October 2007. I have compiled my election picks here. You may like to argue with me. Go ahead, make my day.
- Answers to questions about Intelligent Design – These answers are in reply to a student from France who wants to know more about ID in relation to Darwinism.
- Many contestants in latest ‘space race’ to the moon – China, Japan, India, Europe, the US, and Russia are poised to probe Earth’s satellite – some with the expectation of extracting lunar resources for national gain.
- Welcome to new member David L.
- Welcome back to old member Rick C.
- Apologies for the lateness of this newsletter. Normally you would get this Wednesday morning, in order to inform you whether there was a lunch meeting. It’s the school holidays and I’ve been skiving off early to pick up the kids from their holiday programme, which has meant I haven’t been in my normal routine at work. Needless to say, there was no meeting this week.
- METTLE is an acronym for Men’s Elim Team Together for Learning Experiences. We meet weekly to encourage each other in our daily walk with Jesus. If you know of anyone who may benefit from these meetings, you are welcome to bring them along. Similarly, if your circumstances as such that membership in this distribution list is no longer relevant, then hit reply to have it removed.
- METTLE has no affiliation with Telecom New Zealand Limited