- 17 Sep. 17
- Ian Vale
- 8 Tests that every follower of Christ must face
- Time = Patience
- The Bible is the only ancient near eastern literary work that tells the story, warts and all.
- All others build up the hero as descended from the gods, or the angels or endowed with some other supernatural virtue.
- Therefore we can relate to the Bible heroes. They failed; so do we.
Some classic secular failures:
- Albert Einstein
Was told by a Munich school teacher that we would never amount to anything.
- Colonel Sanders
At the age of 65 he was broke, jobless and separated from his wife. He faced 1009 rejections by restauranteurs before one finally allowed him to give his recipe a go.
- Walt Disney
He visited 104 banks to fund Disney World. He was told he lacked creativity!
- Michael Jordon
Was told by his school coach that he was uncoordinated
The classic example of failure
- 1831 Failed in business
- 1832 Failed 1st election for state legislature
- 1834 Failed in another business
- 1846 Defeated for congress
- 1860 Elected president
- Who? Abraham Lincoln
- Born with severe cerebral palsy he spent much of this life strapped in a wheelchair, his face and limbs subject to spasms. He couldn’t speak but by eleven he’d learned to type.
- It took Christopher 15 minutes to write one wold.
- As a child, he cried bitterly that he was not like other children. One day his mother said, “Listen here, you can see, you can hear, and you can understand and you’re loved by me and your data just as you are.”
- That day he began to fan into flame the only spark he saw, “I’m alive and more importantly, I’m loved just the way I am!”
- At 22 Christopher was hailed as a literary genius. He won the Whitbread prize for this autobiography “Under the Eye of the clock”.
- Failure is an event; not a person
- Failure is momentary; not permanent
You need to:
- Accept your failures
- Own them
- Dare to ask God for his perspective on your failures
- In the 2nd year after Israel’s departure from Egypt, on the 20th day of the 2nd month, the cloud lifted from the tent of meeting.
- So the Israelites set out from the wilderness of Sinai and travelled on from place to place until the cloud came to rest in the wilderness of Paran.
- The people set out for the first time, following the instructions the Lord had given Moses.
- They moved out from the glory (of Sinai) to glory (of Paran).
- They had 3 failures along the way:
- Craving flavour
- Craving meat
- Miriam’s rebellion
God’s purpose is always
- To bless you
- To pour out His Glory on you